Friday, June 27

Day 1- In which I make myself accountable

I sat here yesterday reading the various blogs I read daily and thought to myself I suck as a blogger. There for awhile I did really well and posted almost daily and with real knitting content and not some measly hey this is whats going on type nonesense. As I sat there wondering what happened and feeling lame as all get out I noticed the blogs I love to read update daily and post real content. Gee. Go figure. In an attempt to get back into the swing of things and start enjoying my blogging more I'm going to attempt to do 30 days of daily blogging. With real content. And maybe even pictures. The camera will soon be back in my hands as the husband is off retreiving it from our previous residence. When it gets here I have pictures to take off (such as the giant fish) and pictures to take. I'm going to do this damn it. :) As it is there are no pictures here today. :)

WIP 1- A WHW wrap for my sister. Her wee one has outgrown all her covers and is needing some new ones. We went camping this last weekend and I started on it the night before we left hoping to have it finished by the end of the weekend. I got close I suppose but it's still not done. In fact it's sitting n the back window of the car. I'm almost done with the increases and then the last few rows of ribbing. I'm doing it in some yarn I've used once before. The ribbing is in some Cascade 220 and the body is in some blue/green yarn that I got as a "donation". Turns out it was yarn my sister and I had dyed ourselves one night. Very fitting she ends up with it. :)

WIP 2- A Curly Purly soaker for us. Some leftover Cascade 220 from a pair of shorties I did a bit ago (with the picot trim). I've got the ribbing done and a little bit of the part after that. I've been slacking on this. I brought it camping as well but didn't touch it.

WIP 3- My favorite. I started the February Lady Sweater! You can do a quick google search (blogger is not wanting to let me put in links for some reason) for it but a quick cap of it is a lady on Ravelry wanted one for herself. As she says in her description of it: A swingy lace cardigan, made to fit a grown-ass woman, lovingly based on Elizabeth Zimmermann’s classic “Baby Sweater on Two Needles,” from Knitter’s Almanac. I started mine in some black Wool- Ease. I went out and bought new yarn for this (I have inadvertantly been stash knitting all year) and while it wasn't what I was going for my options were extremely limited and that's what I went with. I was wanting to do brown but I figured if I wanted to get maximum wear out of it it should match more of my clothing than brown would. Not that my clothes are odd colors or anything but more that I have many styles of tops in a wide range of colors. And if I want to be able to wear it certain tops I need more versatility. This is what I keep telling myself as I bitch while kknitting. Why bitch while knitting my current favorite WIP? It's black yarn. The stitches blend together into one long mass of black. Not horrible since it's done on size 8 needles but irritating none the less. Already I've had two mistakes due to counting (that has nothing to do with the black yarn). The way the increases are set up I do 8 total on one row: one on each side of a marked stitch, so technically four 2 increase sets. The first screw up I only did one increase on one set. Luckily I was able to count each section and figure out where I was missing the stitch. Again luckily it's all in garter right now so my mistake was easily hidden. Last night as I was chatting on IM to a friend and knitting we decided to see how long it took to do certain things. She was binding off over 500 stitches and I was doing a plain knit row of over 100 stitches. I finished up my last increase set and set about timing myself. I counted up my stitches and realzied, even with my craptastic math skills, I should not have that few. I recounted three times to make sure and then pulled out a calculator. Sure enough I was two stitches off. Once again though I was able to very easily find where they were missing though so I can insert them on the next row. Hopefully it doesn't screw with the shaping. I've never done an adult top. I've never done an Elizabeth Zimmerman design (or offshot thereof). I've never done raglan shaping/increasing. I'm very happy at this point it's in garter and in black. There is no way you can see my mistakes at this point. Ahhh...heaven. :)

I do have a couple non-official WIP's. Just socks though. When we moved we had to stay with a brother in law for the time being and so out of boredom I started an ankle sock. It's ok. It'll be frogged and I will re-start it using different numbers. As much as I enjoy sock knitting I have yet to find THE perfect formula for me and it's starting to bug me. I'm thinking I may have standards that are too high for a mere hand knit sock. :)

And with that this is the end of day 1. Stay tuned.

No comments: