Tuesday, April 21
Tuesday, April 14
Onto the stats!
Pattern: Waistband: Curly Purly Body: Picky Pants
Yarn and needles: Knit Picks Wool of the Andes ( Cobblestone Heather and Arctic Pool Heather); US 8's
Mods: The waistband is the Curly Purly one which proved to be an issue if you want to do short rows that will still line up with the Picky Pants. After 3 or 4 times of knitting it and lots of help (I love Ravelry) I got it figured out. I did my short rows per the Picky Pants placement but still within the waistband. Once done I increased up to my Picky Pants stich count and continued on.
Options/Size: Short rows with 2 increases. After the first set of increases (brought me up to the stitch count for Picky Pants small though they were already at a Curly Purly small) I asked the intended if the pervious longies were getting tigght. She said yes so I did a second increase set. These are a small waist with a medium body. The inseam is 6 inches. She wanted shorts but I got zoneing out one night while knitting and just guessed. I apparently am overgenerous in that regard. :) The cuff is just my basic garter stitch one.
Her next, and final pair!, ones will likely be the same set up. (The above picture is almost perfect on the color of the yarn). Due to the waist they seem to pull funny but I'm hoping that will not be the case once they are washed and lanolized.
This is this pattern. Super simple (not sure why it's rated as intermediate...maybe because of the two color ear) and super sweet. I didn't do a gauge swatch so not sure if it would really fit a 3-6 month old but this was intended for my neice. It sort fit her, just a tad short in length. As you can see though it can be squeezed onto the head of a 20 month old with no problem. :) The picot hem on here was fun and so dang cute! I did do it differently by doing 4 stitches and binding off 2 (instead of 3 and 1). The only thing I didn't like was that it has a natural propensity to curl. I think if I make another (without the ears mind you ;) ) I'd do a round or two of garter to help it stay pointing down. I love the look of it and it bugs that half the time you can't see that detail. That's the only mod I made to it though. You could very easily size this bad boy up. It's just a basic hat. I didn't attempt to alter sizing because 1. I didn't want to think and 2. I wasn't reading ahead in the pattern and assumed the ears were done differently. The ears are done seperately and sewn on at the end.
Overall I love this hat. The sister in law it was given to is due to have another tiny one and by the time easter is here next year that one will be the right age group for it. :) This was such a hit the oldest wee one asked for one that would make her look like a "horse! A pink horse!". :)