I'm on a roll with this thing called "finishing things you start". This is a very late trade set. Back when the littlest wee one was born we had a stint in time of no sleeping and colic. Normally a ring sling (which I own many) is the trick with my kids. However she was in and out so often that by the end of the day I was having to rethread the material through the rings and having fit issues (same as if you were pulling on a cotton shirt all day). I posted in search of a pouch and a mama offered to make me one. She did and got it to me (in a much more timely fashion than me I mgiht add!) and it saved my sanity. I've never been a pouch gal but apparently the youngest is. The original plan was I would make her a scarf out of my Donegal Tweed. Fast forward way too long and too many issues later we agreed to skip the scarf and go with some dishclothes. Seeing as I was so late on my end of the deal I wanted to make an artilery of rags. And so I did. I hope this ends up being fair! We have 1 ballband, 2 "idiot's dishcloths", and 2 tribbles (google any of those and you will find patterns but off the top of my head the ballband is on the Elmore-Pisgah site, the "idiot's dishcloth" is in a book [the name escapes me currently and I'm too lazy to go look at my bookshelf], and the tribbles are over at 1897 pearl). I managed to do the least amount of mods ever I think. :) The idiot ones are done in garter and I switched them up to stockinette (which I think lends to the less than square shape since my personal garter ones are much more square) and one of the tribbles is smaller (though that is even within the realm of the pattern since she says to go no smaller than 8 inches and that's what I did!). Other than that nothing was changed. Everything was done on size 5's and in Peaches and Cream Ombre (Peppercorn color). As soon as the forum we both use is open (down for server stuff) I'll shoot her a pm and let her know they are done, get her opinion on something, and then off they go! I hope she likes them. Knitting for other people makes me nervous.
And as for the soaker from yesterday. I sent the mama here to look because I was so nervous about it. When I approached her about doing it she only knew I was making something. I asked color preferences (though I already knew..just wanted to bbe sure) and various sizes on things and then set to work. I dyed the yarn myself with Kool-Aid and got colors very different than what I had planned. The husband kindly told me they looked like mold on pepto bismal. I think that tainted the whole project for me. lol I originally wanted to do a skirtie but it very much did not work out. I then opted for ruffly cuffs and some duplicate stitched design on the bum. After many failed tries at various things (I wanted the first letter of her name) with the husband letting me know they never looked like what I was aiming for him (I'm seeing a trend here) I gave up. I stuck it in my bag and stuck that in the closet. I had a hybrid soaker, a random purl round from the original idea, no working idea, and potentially ugly yarn. Talking to Dawn the other morning (after finishing the cuffs the night before) I decided to try and do a "belt" of sorts. I grabbed a crochet hook and started my way around with the intent to have extra length in the back to tie off in a bow. My first attempt failed because it was too tight and had no strretch anymore. So I took it out and tried again. When it was done it looked silly tied in a bow so I gave it a go making loops with the ends. It looked ok. My purl round was lifted though so you could see the purl bumps under the crocheted green (the color I used first). So I grabbed the pink and did another round with a flower on the end of that dangle. It works. Not my favorite thing but the mama loves it and wants it now. Like....yesterday now. A couple people have mentioned it looks like watermelons. I never thought of that! Honest to god the idea that I could do a watermelon theme with it totally escaped me! I was so caught up in it looking like pepto bismal I never saw that. Or thought it. Or had an inkling of it! I wish I had posted pics earlier and gotten ideas from people because I totally would have done black seeds on the bum and then had seed dangles or something. That's ok though. I'm done with that sucker. I am so looking forward to sending it off! I don't know why I had such trouble with this project! It wasn't even hard! When it gets to where it's going I'll be getting some action shots that I have been given the permission to post so stay tuned!