Mermaids and turkeys
This may be the last year I can get away with a costume like this. Which is a shame really because man is it fun!
This year we have a lamb.
There are some mods, of course. I only held the yarn single (the pattern holds it double) and I did it on smaller needles (like 4 sizes smaller). The hat is done flat and seamed up the sides. Since it was late at night when I did this (and the intended was asleep) and my gauge was much different I sort of guessed on the total length. It fit but was a tad short for my liking so I whipped up a band extension and seamed it on. It's perfect. It covers all the way down her neck and ears and only needs folded a bit in the front. Win win. I did change the brim to garter vs ribbing.
I added a tail as well. I held the MC double and crocheted a few chains and then pulled some of the CC through. I unraveled all the strands to give it that wooley and wild look.
I added some straps to the top as well. The pattern is just a basic vest. My mods made for a snugger fit though so seaming it the way the pattern calls for wouldn't have left much room for her head. The straps are 6 stitches wide and just garter stitch. The fit is fantastic and she loves it. The body, with my mods, would make for a truly lovely party dress in a smaller (and lighter weight) yarn.
Pattern: Child's Lamb Costume (linked up above)
Yarn: Lion Brand Hometown USA in Little Rock Granite and Cream
Needles: US 15
Mods: 6 stitch garter stitch straps, extra length in body, garter stitch brim on hat w/ brim extender, tail, yarn held single, smaller needles