Thursday, August 16

Nautie, nautie

Seems I've been a naughty blogger. :)

A reader of this dear blog alerted me after I had posted last that I was a tease. A picture tease. I talked of my love of a simple change yet I provided no proof of it. I did send her comparison pics but thought to myself when I realized I hadn't blogged about a recent FO that I should post them here as well. No reason to hold out on some goodness after all.

Here is the before. I've posted it's details before so no need for that. The cuffs here were done as recommended...a 1x1 rib (for about one inch) in the needles used for the first portion of ribbing (so size 5's here). Since my knit bind off can be tight I used my failsafe icord bind off. I liked it but didn't love it.

And this be the after. I realized one day as I was lanolizing that I had woven in the ends so the night I decided to do that I fixed the cuffs as well. Now they are my standard garter ridge and icord bind off. See how much crisper it looks? It doesn't seem to be drowning in leg cuff. Funny thing is it's the exact same amount of yarn in both pictures. I had done about 10-12 rounds of ribbing and got my basic 4 garter ridges with it. I was surprised. Even the husband thought it looked far better. Best to stick to what you like I guess.

Now for the nautiness. Remember the sock from before? The lovely spiral one in the clown yarn? The yarn is a tad whorish. It's been around my needles a few times. A couple of those times it has even moved into the idea of being an FO only to move out pretty quick. Not a monogamous yarn by any means. It seems to have found a suitable mate though and has only left behind a little bit of itself. Nothing major at all.

Introducing Nautie. From Knitty.

Body yarn: Lion Brand Magic Stripes (Jelly Bean color for those interested): doubled
Head yarn: Tatamy Tweed in Oatmeal
Needles: Size 3 (the pattern calls for larger but I had none at the time)
Tentacles: 6 as opposed to 8. The first three (the ones done in the face yarn) are still attached. The pattern asks you to decrease down to 6 and then bind off those remaining ones. I just kept them live, added one stitch to get my working 3 for the icord and went about my business. Both have them in both yarns.
Face: Also attached. The pattern calls for seaming which I didn't want to do. I placed a purl row on the body to help with placement (the face is placed 4 rounds in) and then continued on with the body until it was time to bind off (I did an icord of course...mostly to give the edge of the shell a sort of rolled edge look without having a rolling edge). Because of my bind off my face was looking small so I added an extra 6 rounds since the original 6 were hidden by the fact that I didn't have a curling edge.
Eyes: Done in the body yarn.

Super easy and loads of fun to knit. The wee one much prefers the straight one though, I prefer the coiled.

No comments: